Aaron Hernandez's friends and family question prison death

Regolare Commento Stampare

"I believe in leaving things in God's hands", he told the Boston Globe. FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012, file photo, New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez puts on a Super Bowl cap following the AFC Championship NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxborough, Mas.

Hernandez's family wanted his brain turned over to Boston University's CTE centre, his attorney Jose Baez said.

Hernandez had been serving a life sentence without parole for the 2013 slaying of a onetime friend.

"There were no conversations or correspondence from Aaron to his family or legal team that would have indicated anything like this was possible", Baez said in a statement to Inside Edition.

The Worcester County district attorney's office and the Correction Department were investigating, and Massachusetts' chief medical examiner was conducting an autopsy.

"There's no reason to withhold the brain", he said in front of the state medical examiner's office in Boston. "It's literally a destruction of evidence issue".

MA prison officials, state police and prosecutors have declined to release any records related to Aaron Hernandez's apparent suicide in prison.

"The family should be able to have the dignity of a proper service in the proper possession of Aaron's remains", Baez told reporters after exiting the medical examiner's office.

"They're being vague about what their intentions are", Baez said.

Monroe, a graphic designer, said Hernandez's temperament stayed even-keeled throughout the two-month trial, where prosecutors fingered him as the triggerman who killed the Cape Verdean men following a nightclub dispute. The center studies chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition linked to the sort of repeated head hits common in football that can lead to aggression and dementia later in life. Lee Goldstein, a CTE researcher at Boston University.

The apparent suicide left friends, family and his legal team shocked and in disbelief.

DailyMail.com has learned a guard at the prison has been suspended on full pay for allegedly failing to make a proper inspection of Hernandez's room at 2 am. He had attempted to block the door from the inside by jamming it with various items, prison officials said. He signed a five-year contract worth $40 million with the team in August of 2012. State police spokesman Dave Procopio also cited the "active" investigation in not releasing more information.

"The family of Aaron Hernandez made a decision to donate his brain to CTE studies to possibly help, and possibly shed light and more evidence on this case".

Hernandez's body was released to the Faggas Funeral Home in Watertown, Massachusetts, after an autopsy.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said he won't draw any conclusions about the investigation into Hernandez's apparent suicide until that investigation is completed. He says he isn't aware of any staff at the maximum-security prison where Hernandez was serving a life sentence for murder being reprimanded as a result of the death. "None of them have been substantiated". A judge added four to five years to Hernandez's prison sentence for that charge, separate from his existing life sentence.

Hernandez's death occurred the same day the Patriots visit the White House to mark their remarkable win in February's Super Bowl. Hernandez! A shocking ending for a young man who was not long ago seemingly on top of the world.

Baez declined to comment further Thursday. In August of 2015, Hernandez was involved in another fight at the prison, ABC News Boston affiliate WCVB reported at the time.

The question of why Hernandez would end his own life might go unanswered.