This isn't the first report of a Note 7 replacement phone catching fire. The owner of the device told the Verge that he picked up the new replacement phone, complete with the green battery symbol created by the phone company to help people distinguish which of the phones were safe. That led to a global recall, and Samsung indicated that it would give replacement phones to anyone affected and that those would be safe. Samsung said it is working with authorities to recover the device and confirm the cause of overheating.
Smoke from a Samsung device prompted a U.S. airline to evacuate a flight.
"All customers and crew deplaned calmly and safely via the main cabin door", a Southwest Airlines spokesperson said in a written statement. As for Green, he has already replaced it with an iPhone 7 according to The Verge.
A flight from Kentucky was evacuated today after a passenger's Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone began smoking shortly before takeoff.
Samsung's disastrous Note 7 smartphone episode took a new turn today when one of its new replacement handsets started to smolder during a flight in the United States on Wednesday.
After being launched in August the device was blamed for causing a number of fires, including one owner claiming his jeep was written off after his Note 7 caught fire.
The scale of the recall is unprecedented for Samsung, which prides itself on its manufacturing prowess. She said that Green had replaced his Note 7 two weeks prior after receiving a text from Samsung. Soon he dropped it on the floor and noticed a "thick grey-green angry smoke". Green added that his colleague returned to the aircraft later to reclaim items left aboard and "said that the phone had burned through the carpet and scorched the subfloor of the plane", according to the report.
The incident prompted fresh investigations by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration.