26th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure attracts thousands

Regolare Commento Stampare

Four community partners will be honored during the evening: Paul Chong, Senior Vice President, CUNA Mutual Retirement Services and Executive Chair for the CU Spirit Team for Susan G. Komen South Central Wisconsin.

Decked from head to toe in pink, Barbara Rubick had a tag pinned on her back bearing the names of the friends and family members who had lost their battle with breast cancer. It's about support, hope, and getting one step closer to finding a cure.

Milwaukee's Race for the Cure event is the largest fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Southeast Wisconsin branch - raising more than $1 million in 2015.

"We want people to know that 75% of the money raised here stays right here". The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research, including breast cancer research at the UW Madison.

More than 45,000 people have been diagnosed with breast cancer in Orange County since the chapter's formation.

"'It's challenging journey, financially and otherwise, so if we can relieve some of that burden, we're thrilled to do it", Panico said.

Nancy Goodman Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan Goodman Komen, that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen.

"Definitely was a huge help".

Mick had a double mastectomy after her second breast cancer diagnosis two years ago.

Some race for their mothers, daughters, sisters and friends, like Deborah Alderete who says she is participating because her daughter was diagnosed previous year.