Russia denies carrying out strike on aid convoy

Regolare Commento Stampare

"From what we know of yesterday's (Monday's) attack, there has been a flagrant violation of global humanitarian law, which is totally unacceptable", said Peter Maurer, head of the worldwide Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

Igor Konashenkov, a spokesman for Russia's Defence Ministry, said in a statement: "We have studied video footage from the scene from so-called "activists" in detail and did not find any evidence that the convoy had been struck by ordnance".

"It probably won't deter (US) Secretary of State (John) Kerry from trying to keep some discussion going, but really the worst expectations for the ceasefire have been fulfilled", Butter said.

On Monday, the United Nations officials said that an aid convoy was hit near Aleppo and there were casualties.

"Everything shown on the video is the direct outcome that the cargo caught fire", Konashenkov was quoted as saying by state-run news agency TASS.

But in Moscow, the Russian military said, "No airstrikes on the United Nations humanitarian convoy in the southwestern outskirts of Aleppo were carried out by Russian or Syrian aviation".

Russia's Defense Ministry is denying that Russian warplanes or those of the Syrian government conducted the deadly airstrikes that targeted an aid convoy in northern Syria the previous night.

His remarks were carried on Tuesday by the state news agency Tass. A Red Crescent team from Aleppo handed it over to one from Urem al-Kubra to oversee the convoy's unloading.

The Aleppo media center on Tuesday posted photos on Twitter of the destroyed aid trucks.

ICRC said in its statement on Tuesday that the dead include a member of the Syrian Red Crescent.

"From what we know of yesterday's attack, there has been a flagrant violation of global humanitarian law, which is totally unacceptable", said Peter Maurer, the head of the worldwide Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). "Such attacks gravely disturb provision of emergency aid both humanitarian and medical, which civilians are in need for, especially in remote regions", the FDFA statement said.

At least 32 people were killed in separate attacks Monday in Aleppo and its western suburbs, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

APPHOTO NYKH103: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, left, sits with United Nations envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura during the International Syria Support Group meeting Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2016, in NY.

Ibrahim Alhaj told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Syrian civilians will pay the price for the decision.

On Saturday, Russia said that USA jets had killed more than 60 Syrian soldiers.

United Nations aid chief Stephen O'Brien called for an investigation warning that the "callous" attack could amount to a war crime if it found to have been deliberate.

On Tuesday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a United Kingdom -based opposition monitoring group, said 12 people were killed in the assault on the aid convoy.

Spokesman Jens Laerke of OCHA says the temporary suspension of the aid deliveries would hold pending a review of the security situation in Syria.

Washington said it still believed the attacks were the result of an air strike, which could only have been carried out by Russian Federation or the Syrian military.

Mr Laerke called it "a very, very dark day. for humanitarians across the world".

After the Syrian military declared the end of the U.S. -Russia-brokered truce Monday night, airstrikes hit several areas in Aleppo.

"At this point the Russians have to demonstrate very quickly their seriousness of goal because otherwise there will be nothing to extend and nothing to salvage", the official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, added. "Failing to protect humanitarian workers and structures might have serious repercussions on ongoing humanitarian work in the country, hence depriving millions of people of aid essential to their survival".

Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon denounced the "sickening, savage and apparently deliberate attack" on the Arab Red Crescent convoy, calling the bombers "cowards".

They support opposite sides in the war between Assad's government and insurgents but are both fighting against Islamic State militants.