Tourists stranded overnight rescued from cable vehicle over Mont Blanc

Regolare Commento Stampare

Jules Blanc, 25, Valery Delisle, 52, and his two sons Clément, 24 and Louis, 20, are among those rescued by Alpine rescuers from a cable vehicle where they were trapped all night in the French Alps.

Daniele (L), 12, and his parents, who spent a night in a cable auto with 33 tourists in the French Alps, leave after being brought to the ground on September 9, 2016 in Courmayeur.

He said the helicopters rescued 65 people before the efforts were suspended for the night because of rough flight conditions.

One of the last families to be evacuated from the dangling cable cars on Friday morning said worsening weather on Thursday evening meant they had to spend the night in the freezing cabin.

The trapped passengers had access to emergency blankets, energy bars and bottles of water, which are stocked aboard the cars.

Kathy Cook, a tourist from MI who was carried down to the ground by a rescuer after nearly 10 hours stranded, called it "really quite an experience".

The cable auto crosses between mountain peaks in France and Italy, near the towns of Chamonix, France, and Courmayeur, Italy.

Then fog descended and darkness started to fall, and authorities called off the helicopter rescue.

Col. Frederic Labrunye, commander of the provincial gendarmerie explained.

So they switched to "Plan B", Fournier said.

Three Michiganders were among the hundreds stranded overnight Thursday inside a cable auto almost 2-miles above the French Alps.

110 people in total were trapped when the cable cars first borked yesterday.

Around 110 people were initially stuck in cable cars at an altitude of 3,800 metres (12,500 feet) between two mountain peaks in the Mont Blanc region when cables became tangled in high winds.

People who spent a night in cable cars are escorted by rescuers before being brought to the ground in Courmayeur. The panoramic ride over glaciers usually takes 30 minutes to complete.

Mathieu Dechavanne, president of the company running the cable cars, said a tow cable crossed over the main support cable in three places - a common occurrence - but this time it stalled the cars because the tangles couldn't immediately be fixed at all three points.